Yesterday reportedly saw the Nevada Gaming Commission approve a set of rules that have been designed to prevent the further spread of coronavirus once the western state’s collection of 441 commercial casinos re-open.
According to a Thursday report from the Las Vegas Review-Journal newspaper, the directives were first issued late last week by the Nevada Gaming Control Board and will require re-opening venues to halve the capacity of their gaming floors in line with local building and fire codes and permit only three players to simultaneously enjoy any single blackjack gaming table.
The newspaper reported that these instructions are to apply to Nevada casinos re-opening once the current coronavirus-related lockdown is eased and moreover include a provision that is to limit individual poker and roulette gaming tables to a maximum of four concurrent competitors.
The Las Vegas Review-Journal reported that these precautions, which resemble a series of measures introduced into Macau casinos following the end of that jurisdiction’s 15-day shutdown, are to furthermore oblige large resort-style venues such as the 3,960-room Caesars Palace Las Vegas to impose a limit of six players for each one of their craps tables.
Sandra Morgan, Chair for the Nevada Gaming Control Board, reportedly told the newspaper that these rules will furthermore compel re-opening venues to regularly clean high-traffic surfaces such as hand rails and elevator buttons but do not currently encompass a smoking ban.
Morgan reportedly told the Las Vegas Review-Journal…
“These are unprecedented times that require unprecedented measures. We are confident that these policies are sound, not only for our licensees, but for our employees and guests.”
Nevada casinos have been closed ever since Governor Steve Sisolak instituted a statewide lockdown on March 18 while the Nevada Gaming Control Board reportedly used a Thursday public hearing on the re-opening rules to take submissions from union representatives, anti-smoking groups and responsible gaming advocates. One of these, Geoconda Arguello-Kline from the Local 226 branch of the Culinary Workers Union, purportedly asked commissioners to consider inserting a range of public health measures into the new directives that would see returning workers tested for coronavirus and its antibodies and be provided with protective clothing, gloves and masks.
Reportedly read a statement from Arguello-Kline…
“Members of the Culinary Workers Union want to go back to work and provide for their families but they are worried about what awaits them inside the casinos when they go back.”