Share this article
Baha Mar president Graeme Davis confirmed the expansion is still scheduled to be completed next year, despite a temporary halt to construction due to the coronavirus pandemic.
Despite the enforced construction suspension due to the coronavirus pandemic, Baha Mar’s $300m water park and entertainment development, Baha Mar Bay, is said to still be on schedule for completion by next year.
“The Baha Mar Bay development is scheduled to be completed in 2021,” said Baha Mar president Graeme Davis. “We have made the difficult decision to temporarily suspend all operations, including construction on property.
“As health, safety and well-being of our associates and Baha Mar guests is of utmost importance, the construction work will resume once it is determined safe by the Ministry of Health to continue.”
Announced last October, the project was scheduled to be completed in the next 12 to 24 months and will be located between the SLS Lux and Melia hotels on the 14-acre site that previously housed the Wyndham resort and Crystal Palace casino. According to a report in The Times newspaper, the new water park will also include a “secret garden” casino.
The investment will also see significant renovations and enhancements to the Melia Nassau Beach Resort, along with the development of Long Cay, Baha Mar’s private 15 acre island, with the addition of new food and beverage facilities.
Discussing the human impact of the coronavirus lockdown, Davis affirmed his “unwavering support” for Baha Mar’s estimated 5,500 staff during the property’s temporary closure.
“We are working hard to support our associates and their families during these challenging and uncertain times,” he said. “Our incredible associates are the very heart of Baha Mar, and we are dedicated to their health, safety and well-being, first and foremost. Our unwavering support to all associates is at the core of every decision at Baha Mar.
“We stand by the commitment we’ve made to our Baha Mar family to ensure all full-time associates receive the equivalent of 40 percent of their base pay, as of March 26, for up to 90 days,” Davis continued.
“Baha Mar will continue to pay the insurance premiums necessary to maintain health insurance, life and accidental death and dismemberment (ADD) insurance coverage. I thank our associates from the bottom of my heart for their incredible perseverance, dedication and patience as we look ahead.”
Speaking to local media at the start of April, Davis declined to set a date for when Baha Mar will be able to re-open. “We are closely monitoring the situation around the world, and look forward with hope and anticipation to a time when we will welcome our guests and associates back to our property for the spectacular experiences that Baha Mar is known for. Baha Mar is working with the Bahamian government, airlines and local partners to determine the re-opening date,” Davis concluded.
Share this article